Friday, June 09, 2006

Burning and Churning

Man it's a hot one
Like seven inches from the midday sun
- Santana

The heat is on. If I need to do anything that requires leaving the house it has to be before 9:30am or after 7:00pm unless it's a trip to the pool. While most Texans are planning their escape to cooler climates, I am finalizing my plans to spend the summer in the only place hotter than the Lone Star state.

I have attended at least part of the WSOP for the last five years; as an observer, a freelancer or under contract. While I knew I was not going miss going out this year, I had no firm idea of the whats and whens. And with the current changes in the media restrictions, many of the media players had no idea either.

I had been keeping my options open and had thrown out a few proposals to a number of outlets - but I was actually leaning toward making this year's Vegas venture a combination of personal schmooze-fest, dissertation writing escape, with a little satellite action on the side.

Thursday my planets aligned. It seemed like every idea or seed I planted in the last couple of months, WSOP or otherwise, came to fruition. The phone kept ringing off the wall. If I played the lottery, my numbers would have hit. I'm sure that some of these will die on the vine, but it was sure nice to get washed over by a positive wave for a change.

My needs are pretty simple. I'm definitely low maintenance on the financial front. But in life's exercise of feast and famine, dealing with feast beats the shit out of managing famine. But just in case I wasn't paying attention to the cosmic challenge, I had a dream Thursday night. The recently deceased John Kenneth Galbraith spoke to me as I slept. He whispered, "It is a shame that you didn't use your last hours wisely." The message that my dissertation chair's father came from his ultimate slumber to disturb mine was not lost on me.


I didn't get much play in this week, but I did manage to play and money in an online Omaha hi/lo MTT. I'm three for three in my last Omaha hi/lo MTTs; two online and one live. It had been awhile since I had gone back to my Omaha roots as the NLHE action is often too hard to pass up. It feels good. I think a lot my malaise with poker had to do with drifting too far afield from my personal poker zone. I think I'll put my playing energy more solidly in Omaha until the WSOP. If my head stays in the game, I may take a shot at a couple of satellites for the $3000 buy-in. (picture of Kathy Liebert's hands)

On a lighter note (and another sure way to escape the dissertation anvil precariously hanging overhead) I was looking (obsessing) at my blog stats. Some of the more interesting ways people searched their way to the blog:

more ass
liz lieu cleavage
pimping radio
Sabina ass
Amy cleavage
Athens whorehouse
groping
dd pizza poughkeepsie

On the international reader front, the following additional countries have navigated their way here: The Netherlands, Chile, Faroe Islands, Malaysia, The Russian Federation, Libya, Slovenia, Bermuda, and Cyprus.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Shrink said...

This obsessing over blog hits is the result of early childhood deprivation and is likely to persist into fantasies involving large numbers of young, buff males who worship at the feet of a hairy legged goddess OR lots of alcohol hidden is pineapple based drinks with tiny pink bumbershoots.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Do people really just go to google and type in "more ass" for their search? I mean, "Sabina ass" (whoever that is) or "Liz Lieu cleaveage", those I can understand. But "more ass"? More ass than what?

Nice job in the Omaha MTTs btw. I don't think I've ever sat and played a large MTT for Omaha, either live or online. Maybe one of these days I'll rail you in one.

Hey Amy, if you're interested come play in my weekly homegame tonight on pokerstars, 10pm ET. Details are on my blog today.

9:11 AM  
Blogger BJ Nemeth said...

Amy --

You might start skewing your own search results if you continue posting them. You might be encouraging people to find very unusual combinations of words in your blog and then search for them, just to get a mention from Amy herself.

Yes, there are some sickos out there!

1:42 PM  
Blogger CC said...

Congrats on the groping pervert from the Faroe Islands.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home