Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Back to Vegas


Every year my brother and I carve out a week in Vegas to participate in that futile, but oh so invigorating, exercise of low-limit poker. And today is launch day.


We'll be staying at the Monte Carlo, which is one of our mainstays; not too much tourist flow, decent pool (bathing suit photo op?), and centrally located to where my brother will be trying to scare up low limit stud action. Perhaps "action" isn't the right word for Vegas stud games. My brother will come to the same conclusion he comes to every trip to vegas lately; the people left playing stud have been playing it longer than he's been alive. But that realization will be part of our annual ritual.

Our other rituals are drinking bellinis at Bertolini's at Caesar's Forum, checking out the lion action at the MGM, obligatory Bellagio fountain stops, and scoring enough comps for the Monte Carlo breakfast buffet (there is something oddly special about their bacon).


I stayed at the Palms during one of my Magical Mystery Tour stops with Michael Craig, but my brother has never been. So we'll probably spend one day doing the Palms. I suspect we won't play much poker over there, but we will be exploring drunken pai gow and video poker.


There are some people we hope to see out in Vegas. Jen and John will be there for a couple of days - but I know they have a packed schedule. We are planning to kidnap BJ for a photo journalist's tour of downtown and possibly Red Rock Canyon. And I know that the LasVegasVegas folks have had a tough week this week. My thoughts are with you guys. But I'm hoping that I'll we'll be able to work out a visit while I'm there.


I just downloaded skype and bought a headset. Technology permitting I'll be skyping in for the radio show on Thursday night. I don't want to miss this as Nolan Dalla will be our guest. His book about Stu Ungar is a must read. But besides that, Nolan has one of the best insights on the changing landscape of poker. He's also a longhorn.

So the next post will be from that city of sin. Stay tuned.

7 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Have a blast Amy, and say hi to those lions for me. :)

11:27 AM  
Blogger BJ Nemeth said...

Amy, did you get your homework assignment from me before you left for the airport? Every day needs a "Photo of the Day!" (And the airport/airplane is a fun place to start.)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Make sure you hit up the Monte Carlo's micro-brew bar and drink a "giraffe"... if you're woman enough for the challenge :D

Have a great time in Vegas!

2:00 PM  
Blogger The Shrink said...

Spending time with your brother in Las Vegas.....verrrrry interesting und also mucho revealing. I have office hours tuesday and friday......

5:44 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Man am I jealous, Amy. My parents and my older brother are in Vegas right now as we speak. I'm the only one who's stuck here as a working stiff. *Sniff!

I applaud your choice on the Monte Carlo. MC was the home of my single greatest craps run in history, back when I used to play negative-EV games like craps, instead of negative-EV games like cash nlh today. So I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Monte Carlo and all that white marble interior.

Good luck and have a great time with your brother.

1:42 PM  
Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

Have a good trip :) Maybe I'll catch you over at the MGM (that's where I usually play).

2:39 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Yeah - I meant Stu Ungar and not some long lost brother of Felix. Obviously spell check is not a panacea for dyslexia.

And David - Dude - we definately have to hook up while you're here. Driving to Vegas. Very hardcore. I'll send you an email with contact stuff.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home